Sunday, August 22, 2010

Precious children

We often hear that children are the most precious things in our lives, but it isnt until they are sick that we are reminded of just how fragile life can be. My 3yr old munchkin had to go to hospital last week to have his tonsills and adenoids removed, and grommits put in his ears. We went to a hospital about 1.5 hrs drive away which meant an overnight in a hotel to make the 7am hospital check-in time. As luck would have it, the weather was atrocious for the drive down and added to our apprehension and exhaustion. 

The operation went well, and our little munchkin was a real trooper, especially considering as he hadnt eaten for 14hrs. As he and I waited in the alcove ready to go into theatre, he got a tiny bit teary and said "love you mummy" ..........ahhhhhhhh. This was shortly followed by "can I have a muslie bar please?"

The night in hospital was continually interrupted but felt safe. Snuggling up to my boy so he wouldnt wake up alone felt really comfortable and comforting. One of those moments as a mother we hang out for - the Energiser Bunny is quiet and we can gaze upon their face for as long as we want.

Back home now we are trying to keep the munchkin as quiet as possible. No running, jumping, wrestling or rough-housing. He is sharing my double bed at the moment (Dad has been banished to the spare room) - I love the nights knowing he is close and sleeping peacefully.

I'd love a little "me" time for craft and other goodies, but for the moment it is about recovery.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment